View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 03:17 AM
mlsa

I don't have a Tin Lizzie but here are some things we check when we have problems with skipped stitches:

(1) Make sure your encoders are working correctly..You can move the machine slowly and eitherwatch the encoder wheels turn or lightly touch the wheels to see if they move. If either of thewheels are not moving completely and smoothly you will have skipped stitches

(2) Change out the needle…Sometimes a needle can get a burr on the tip

(3) Make sure your hopping foot is not too high….to adjustthe hopping foot put 8 sheets of paper under the hopping foot and lower the foot until it sets onthe paper…then tighten the hopping foot. You can also use a business card.

(4) Check your bobbin tension and top tension

(5) Make sure your needle is in correctly….the groove at the bottom of the needle should be at theback (Depends o which brand of machine you have)

(6) Make sure the machine is threaded correctly.

(7) I think some have mentioned that they had skipped stitches when using a certain type ofthread…you can change thread if nothing else works.

(8) Make sure your two rails are level and not too high..uneven rails can create skipped stitches.Having your rails too high above the fabric can create skipped stitches….the rails should only beapproximately ¼ or so above the base of the Block Rockit. Just enough so that the machine rollssmoothly.

(9) Clean the lint from the bobbin case and also under the needle plate

(10)When all else fails, your timing could be off especially if you broke a needle.

NOTE: In most of the cases when I start getting skipped stitches I know I have lint under the needleplate. I take the time to do a thorough cleaning (especially under the needle plate) and oiling andusually my skipped stitches disappear.

David