View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 AM
leatheflea

Default Fray Check alternative

I've noticed that the topic of Fray Check has come up a few times here on the QB. Fray Check is a wonderful product if used as intended. It's not really intended for quilters. There's a better product for quilters called Sew Secure. It doesn't dry as stiff. Yes there's some stiffness, but that's going to be an issue anytime you want to stop fraying. I use Sew Secure for hand applique and have never had a problem with it being overly stiff if used properly.
TIP: use it sparingly. Just a small amount goes a long way. After applying the small dot use the tip of the bottle or your finger to work it into the fabric just a bit. Now don't get to aggressive or you'll cause more fraying. Just spread it around.
The pictures below show my purple bird with a small dot of Sew Secure in the crook of the neck, can you see it? If not I've put a dot on my finger to show you how small of an amount you will need to use. The product is a little more expensive but well worth the money when you use so little it last forever. A google search should bring up several sites where it can be ordered. Hope this helps! Happy Stitching!
Attached Thumbnails 100_7507.jpg   100_7508.jpg   100_7510.jpg