View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Macybaby

Default The new ones for the collection

I've been watching for a late model Howe for some time, and finally found one.

This is the Model G. I'm not sure if this style tension is earlier or later than the one with the leaf tension. It's a neat machine.

Takes a rather different shuttle - not sure how to open it though. Rather worn, but I won't ever do much sewing with this machine.

And then the new hand crank. I really wanted one with this style crank, and was happy to find this one. Unfortunalty the seller did a horrid job packing it - and I'm amazed it had such little damage for the packing. Must have been real lucky that it didn't get dropped in transit - since it had NO packing on the bottom - other than two layers of cardboard.

This machine would have been near the end of the production run (which started in the late 1800's) based on the serial number (has US in front) and that it takes a different needle (I believe this is the Free size, as this was made after Free took over). So it's from the early 1930's.

I knew that when I bought it -even though the seller listed it as from the mid 1800's. Seller said it would be double boxed, and I guess he was as able in determining age as he was in figuring out how to double box. I have not contacted the seller yet - not sure what type of adjustment to ask for. I expect there will be a way to get out the broken ends, glue the handle together and find something to put the handle back on the wheel.

My "looking for" list does not seem to get shorter though, I seem to find out about another I'd like to get to add to the list each time I check one off.