View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM
sbrown04

Originally Posted by KristenJ View Post
Has anyone on here had any experience with working baby onesies into a quilt? I was given burp cloths with initials on them and some onesies with initials and "baby first" stuff on them and was asked to make a memory first year quilt. I didn't have any problems with the burp cloths. I just kinda cut a square around the initials and then cut 2"strips of pretty fabric to border it. Kind of like square in a square. I'm now moving on the onesies and just don't know what to do with them. They are so darn tiny I cant really cut around the initial part because it doesn't leave me with enough of a seam allowance. Do you think I could just heat n bond and sew around the whole onesie to a pretty piece of fabric the same size as my square in square with the burp cloths? Or maybe not the WHOLE onesie but just the top half. The part that has the little initials and applique "Baby first Whatever" on it? Thanks in advance for any advice. I think I may have taken on a project that I wasn't quite skilled enough or ready to do. Of course! LOL.
I would cut out the part I wanted in the quilt, probably the front. Then, I would cut all I could out of the back. Iron on the thinnest fusible. Cut out the design you want and using the back, make the block the size you want. There was a tee shirt in the quilt I made for my husband but the design was only on the pocket. I used the rest of the shirt to make the square the size I wanted. Using that fusible, the fabric doesn't "roll" so you have better control over it. Once the square was quilted, no one could tell there were many pieces of that tee shirt in the square. Good luck!