Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM
kellen46

Unhappy Oh dear....is there a free motion virus going around?

I have been working on quilting up some tops...so far so good. When I stitch in the ditch no problems with threads or such, but free motion OYE! lots of thread shredding. Now I worked on different projects on two different machines....a Viking Ruby and a Brother Inovis. Both machines have been used for free motion before, same kinds of needles, same type of threads, no problems, worked out great. Not so this week. All tops are pieced with cotton fabric, use a cotton batting, and different types of threads from all cotton, to polyester. Different needles, 12 universal, 14 top stich. Different times of day...early morning to late night. So the only common factor is me. So now is there a rare and mysterious quilting virus? Have I passed into the quilting equivalent of the twilight zone? So frustrating, both machines cleaned and new needles, even cleaned the thread tracks for bits of fluff...I simply cannot figure it out. I finally finished and I am going back to just piecing for a while, or stitch in the ditch at the most until the fever breaks and the virus heals (if virus it is). Disclaimer I am a bit of a speed demon when it comes to free motion, but nothing new there.