View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 AM
wendi3107

Joe -
Thank you for you reply, it's helpful. :-) The motor is off of the machine so that I could clean around it and because I'm afraid it will burn up - smoke pours out when it's in use. Same with the foot pedal, unfortunately. The motor bracket and screws are safely tucked away until the motor is fixed or replaced. Sorry that the photo is confusing, I didn't think to move the motor out of the way before I took the pic.

I just found a great scan of the manual online. So based on you advice and the book, if I am understanding correctly: to set the stitch length put the lever at the middle point, use the knob to choose the length, then push the lever to wherever it stops and the knob will keep it locked at that chosen setting.

The lever and knob seem not to be working together on my machine. The lever moves all the way up & down no matter where the knob is set. At one point (after my intervention) the range of motion for the knob was fine, now it won't go up past 2 - which is how it was when I got it. I had taken it apart (maybe that was a bad idea, but it looked straight forward and went back together nicely) and had the dial working freely off (bot off and on the machine), but now it's reverted back to the original limited range of motion. I'm afraid to mess with it too much more, the last thing I want to do is lose a tiny part, over-tighten something or break the knob (which I am guessing is bakelite).

If the problem is inside, that is definitely out of my comfort zone, especially on a machine that I may not be able to get replacement parts for if I really mess up. (eek!)

While I'm thinking of it - would you happen to know if the 606 will fit in a Singer cabinet? I have a #42 cabinet from a 15-91 that it would look great in... and now that I think about it, this would eliminate the foot pedal problem because there is a foot pedal built into the cabinet that could be used instead of the original.

Thanks again :-)
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2015-07-26-12.58.17-pm.png