View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM
KenmoreGal2

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Just throwing it out here but, if the difference is the size of one thread, it should not be making that much difference in the outcome. Especially if all the blocks are coming out one thread smaller. If all the blocks are coming out the same size the pattern should work just one thread smaller. Does that even sound English?? In my head it made sense!! LOL. If you have a quilt, that is 10 blocks across, each block is one thread off (it's a given that different thread will be different thickness) that would equal 10 threads, approximately a quarter inch or so. Over the whole width of the quilt, 1/4" should not make that much difference.

Sometimes, we are sooooo concentrated on that one tree, we miss the whole beauty of the forest.
I'm a new quilter and I'm not making anything fancy - just a Warm Wishes. I sewed my first block (before this thread started) and when I pressed it, it was somewhere between 5 1/2 and 5 3/4 inches instead of 6 inches. I was supposed to cut my large fabric pieces 6" square and I almost said "the heck with it". Meaning I'd figure out the average size that I was under and cut all my large fabric pieces that size instead. But then I thought that I am obviously doing something wrong and I should try and figure out what it is.

When it's a different type of quilt, I agree that the small size difference isn't that significant. In fact, probably most of my previous quilts were off a bit. But this time I actually noticed it and decided to figure out what I was doing wrong.