View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 03:50 PM
zozee

Many people have raised good points and asked good questions here. I would seriously ask myself if I wanted to start a business that could ostensibly take all your weekends plus a few weekdays every week for a year for starters. Without making a dime, because most small businesses lose money the first year. Do you have any business experience? What is your personality when it comes to risk? This is a litigious society, and getting sued for an accident during a rental or retreat is a possibility. How strong is your passion to succeed at this at a job, or is still a bit in the "hobby" category of your lifestyle? Because you will be working a lot more than "hobbying" in the quilting department, to the point you might not be quilting much at all the first year. This is not to discourage you; it sounds like you really have a hospitality gift by wanting to offer to out of town wedding guests and quilters. Just trying to ask some questions that we asked ourselves before recently buying our own residential property. You'll need to research contractors, hire them, wait for them to show up (or not show up), be specific with your contracts, be willing to talk straight to ones who aren't fulfilling their end of the deal. You'll also need bookkeeping skills or a good accountant and good organizational skills. If you have the dream and are willing to research it and work to make it come true, providing the research gives you the legal green light, then I say go for it. It could be very rewarding and you won't know until you try.