View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Mrs. SewNSew

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
If the spots are tiny, then you can clean down to the metal, spray auto primer in a small container and paint on with a very small artist paint brush. Then paint with Rustoleum black paint, either spray or can. I spray it into a small, disposable container and paint it on and feather the edges. Then I use Carnuba wax to protect it. If the whole bed is bad and the decals can't be saved, then I sand, steel wool, prime with the appropriate metal primer, then spray it. From there, you can get new decals or leave it alone. I use the wax rather than a clear coat, but all of this is up to you. It saves the machine for perhaps a full restoration later. White Godzillas have aluminum castings, so require a VERY different primer, which is available at WalMart and white in color, but it takes paint well and so far so good.
Yeah that's what I wanted to hear. That is what I am thinking about doing withe the Pfaff 11 I have. The decals are in decent shape for it's age but I have a few areas on the bed that had bubbled paint and rust spots. I don't want to re-do the whole thing. I love that she shows her age and I have her stitching now too. I just want to touch up her rust spots and let her age old beauty shine though.

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Christy, I taped off the arm and primed and painted the entire bed. I used automotive gloss black and primer from my local auto store. Rustoleum. I use the brass brush it is softer than the steel one. You can use the steel one with no problems it will remove rust faster. Yes spray cans.

Yes Rodney it is a cent.
Thanks Glenn. I got the bobbin winder working and did a test stitch and it was all good. Now I need to run to the automotive store and pick up some paint. I used the steel wire brush on my dremel today and it seemed to take off the rust and remove the bubbled paint in the couple of spots on the bed I was worried about. Now I can touch up the spots and have this ole gal working again.