View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I've done some rusty machines, too - maybe gave up on one that rusty, Glenn. Most often the rust is somewhat surfacy and not terribly pitted. If it is terribly pitted it is a lot more work. Some times it is hard to tell at first glance if a machine has rust or dried up oil. Dried up oil will clean up with solvent. Some times I've used bicycle chain oil to clean rust off parts I don't really want to pull out of the guts of a machine. The green oil has some kind of detergent and will clean rust off. Think about bike chains and rain... Then I clean that up after the machine turns. I don't use evap-o-rust since it costs an arm and a leg. So for the little bit parts that come off and can be dried off, I put a pinch of citric acid in a bit of water in a zip bag and soak.... vinegar will work, too. Then when I pull them out of the bag I use a green scrub pad and some Dawn to get them cleaned up. Some times I put them back to soak after cleaning with the Dawn. If needed I wire brush with the Dremel. I don't paint. I just build up shellac. I guess I'm ok with the steam punk looking WORKING sewing machines. I like to see some history. Almost always those old machines can be made to run - it can be time consuming, right Glenn?