View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM
Bubbie

I have kept a quilt journal from the start. It comes in very handy for a number of reasons. I started it for me, but have used it for taxes as well as when someone wants me to make a quilt "Just Like That One". I'm able to show them the amount of fabric, batting, backing and notations "That One" takes (as well as what the items cost - because I try to keep my receipts for each quilt stapled onto the page also). I just use the black and white journal books for school, they are cheap easy to get and they also come in colors. Over the years I have added items to my journals as well as removed things that I felt I wanted to know at the time. 2015's version starts with a picture of the finished quilt on the back side I have a copy of the picture of the pattern my quilt was made from (because I have been known to change patterns around from what I started with). I will make my notes for the size amounts of each fabric, fabric lines, batting and trims or embellishments I have used. Then on the back side I will place my receipts for items purchased as well as if anything came out of my stash (I don't have receipts for these any more, but they will have to be replaced as some point), along with small samples of each fabric (if possible, you know how that goes when you run out). Then the last page will have what I have done with this quilt - Was it gifted - if so then to whom and why with the date. - Was it donated - if so then to what group and why that group (I have donated to different groups for different reasons). - Was it sold - if so how was it sold (on commission, bazaar, store). I will place thank you notes tax receipts or copy of sales receipts on the back of this page. This all helps with taxes and insurance. My insurance has pictures of my fabric and sewing room it helps with replacement if anything happens. As for taxes I'm able to help off set some with my donations, because I have documented all information (this helped when "The Tax Man Came Knocking" - don't want that to happen again - but the IRS feels if you take the time to be detailed you are on the up and up). So as you can see I use front and back of 3 pages in my journals for each quilt, I'm sure you can come up with your own version (that will work for you), of what you see on this board. Good luck