View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Friday1961

I've been storing fabric in open plastic containers in a guest room closet. But one long bin is stacked on top of another, which makes it impossible to see what I've got without moving everything. I've always hated the arrangement, and I've finally bought a tall Billy bookcase from IKEA with full length doors. The top of the doors are glass, which means I'll have to cover them with something to protect the fabric from the light, but that's doable. My son suggested the film used on car windows, which cuts ultraviolet light; I may look into that.

I've just put that bookcase together and now have to get it in place and get the fabric ruler folded and inside. But already I know it will not hold all I've got, which leads me to vote with others on not acquiring a huge stash. Mine is not even that big compared to some, but it's still more than I really have room for.....and doesn't even include the batting I've accumulated -- no idea where I'm putting that! I've stopped buying fabric until I get what I have sewn up. When fabric becomes a burden instead of a joy, it lessens the fun, I've discovered.

Good luck with whatever you decide! If you have a dedicated sewing room (I don't) you'll have many more options for storing all your quilting materials.