Old 08-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Sewnoma

Default Is Tri-flow grease OK for plastic Singer gears?

I bought a nice, small cabinet for my Rocketeer at the thrift shop yesterday and it came with a free Singer Stylist 457. (Like that phrasing? LOL) I thought it was frozen solid and figured it probably had busted plastic gears jamming it up but when I got it home I was a bit surprised to find it was just a terrible thread jam and all the plastic gears in both the top and the bottom appear to be in perfect condition! I even jabbed at them a bit with my screwdriver to see if they were about to crumble and they held up fine. Well, what do you know!?

The machine is filthy and dry so I'm cleaning and oiling her up but I'm not sure if it's OK to use my Tri-flow grease on these plastic gears or not! Is that safe, or do I need to find something else?

It really doesn't seem like a bad machine other than I don't trust it to last. It has a single built-in cam (also plastic) that allows it to do zig-zag or blind hem stitch so that's pretty useful. (I haven't tried actually sewing with it yet, though, it's still in pieces on the hospital table.)

I'm considering using it as practice for repainting machines. Maybe someone would want it if I gave it a nice retro turquoise-and-white paint job, LOL.