View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 02:59 PM
connie28705

Hi All,

I am what some would refer to as a old timmey quilter. My little granny “Grunt” as I called her and her sister aunt Lizzie raised me to learn the old ways….I.E. homesteading and that also meant quilting with whatever they had or could find fabric wise. I have 4 sewing machines 2 is modern brother machines and the other 2 are both grannies (1 from daddy's momma and the other from granny grunt momma's momma) I am 48 years old so u can see I was raised in some hard times in the Appalachian mtns of NC. Now a days I rely on the 3 buildings (One that is 16'x20' will become my new crafts room) FULL OF CLOTHING my daddy left me when he passed away last year (I'll be diggin forever..LOL) family also gives me their unwanted clothes as well as thrift stores and yard sales for my quilt materials. I use plain colored sheets in flannel and cotton as my batting and backing because I don't like a thick quilt. Most of the time when I was growing up our bed consisted of a top sheet, blanket and quilt in the winter or just a quilt in the summer month's. So I decided to combine 3 layers to give a whole bed covering. I use my printed sheet sets that I find to incorporate into the quilt tops or other projects. I also use Curtain's, Bed ruffles, Pillow shams, table cloths, table runners, placemats and old clothing as long as it is a cotton material. I get a lot of white or ivory colored men's dress shirt and dye those colors I want to use. I get bags of items from 2 of my favorite thrifts Salvation Army on tag day and goodwill has a by the pound outlet which I adore. Using 2 method's of strip/string quilt tops using magazines, newspaper and phone books as my square to sew onto then the paper is torn away. I also peace 2 1/2” strips together to get a 44” long strip then connect them as you would for a jelly roll race quilt. I love these 2 easy methods and get some of the most unique looking quilts around and proud to call them 1 of a kind because no 2 quilt tops are ever the same. Now for the fuss of binding etc? I don't fool with none of that as I use the inside/out method and turn it right side out just before I quilt it all together. I sale my quilts threw facebook at my page, facebook groups and on etsy in the winter month's. In the warmer month's I add to this with Craft Fairs and Flea Markets. I do a lot of different crafting where I need fabric and this is a way to keep my costs down in what I have in the project to make more money in the end.

Happy Quilting,

Connie C