Thread: church window
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 04:49 AM
fatsewcat

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
I will be following the progress on this beautiful project. If you take a break to say eat or sleep can you explain to us how you do this? I see the design was put on the fabric and how do you put the fabric pieces on? Is that by hand or by machine? Do you sew the fabric in a bit so you can trim the pieces? Thank you for any additional knowledge for this. Your church will be excited to see this. Does anybody else know that your doing this for the church? What a special gift!
Well yesterday, I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast before getting started, as it was quick. The kids were sleeping and hubby was at work so it was just me. I did two loads of laundry, thawed a roast, marinated steaks and eventually made dinner last night while working on this project, I am a huge multi-tasker when I want to be. . Put my TV on video on demand and listened to several movies one right after another. Even watched a couple I wouldn't normally watch that ended up being good movies. I was watching them in alphabetical order, I am in the "C's". lol

On this particular project, my original plan was to hand draw all the lines onto the fabric, I even invested in a good light box which I love by the way, it has came in handy for tracing out the patterns onto the colored fabric and works great. The lines on the background fabric were actually ironed on after having the designs printed on a large scale blue print printer that uses toner instead of ink. I remembered it working as an iron on after accidentally ironing a smaller image from an old project onto my ironing board. Once I remembered that accident, it became a life saver for this project. and I am very thankful for that. I am layering the pieces and them sewing through all of them at once to sew them down. I originally was needle turning every individual piece but had a "AH-HA" moment and realized I didn't need to do that. HUGE time saver. I am still needle turning the top layered pieces or the piece that have exposed edge. I am doing this incase this project gets "washed" by whomever purchases it. I didn't want to leave it up to change that something could come undone. I have tacked glued a few pieces down, but didn't like that so I am actually sewing everything in a "flat" method. It is how I do it to keep everything lined up vs holding it in my hand and sewing around the pieces. I used this self thought of method when I did my koi pond quilt and it worked well, it does cause me to go a tad bit slower then if I basted it down first and held it up do it but I do find it keeps the pieces in place this way.

There are a few people at church who are aware that I am doing this but it will be a big surprise to others. I hope it does well at the auction.

Thank you for you kind words and if you have anymore questions, please ask.