Thread: Fractions...
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I made the quilt after seeing one somewhere. It's simply a large rail fence with a larger center. I made my own pattern, then many months later I saw the pattern Fractions by Mountainpeek Creations. Mine looks different because I used different fabric, but the basic rail fence block is the same.

I want to enter my quilt in a local quilt show that wants us to list the name and maker of the pattern used. Since I didn't know of the pattern before I made it and didn't use their pattern, am I required to credit them? If I make my own pattern, am I violating the copyright?

If it is a block, it's not a problem. If it's a copyrighted pattern, I'm not sure what to do.

I have attached a picture of my quilt. I don't know how to resize pictures, and I'm hoping it isn't huge.
Your quilt is very pretty. The design is not copyrighted, only the pattern itself (meaning the written instructions). If you did not use the pattern (or even know about it) then there's no need to credit the pattern designer. If it's one of those shows where you're asked to write more about your quilt, then you might write that you came up with the design yourself, then later saw that Mountainpeek Creations had a pattern out for the same thing. Even if you had seen the pattern and figured out how to make it without the pattern, you would not have violated copyright, however in that instance I think you might want to credit the designer as having given you the inspiration, if not the instructions.