Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 PM
barbgooch

Default Taking over office for my new sewing "suite"

I've had a very nice sewing room for over 12 years, which has lots of shelves, bookcases, closets for my quilting fabric. Plus I have a large 4 ft by 8 ft table which the entire surface is padded for ironing ( I set my cutting board on top for cutting) a nice sewing cabinet for my machine, and plenty of smaller cubbies for notions, threads etc. But my non-quilting fabric bins were stacking up and getting in the way.

We had a home office that we closed down five years ago. Slowly I've been taking it over for more sewing space. Got rid of most of the desks (we had 4) and some office stuff, but kept some of it. This year I made a huge effort to completely take it over since I bought a Babylock Tiara sit down quilting machine.

The pictures show the storage shelves I bought from Home Depot to store the bins of my "other than quilting" fabric. The legal size file cabinets with the hanging folders store all my quilting and sewing patterns. I kept one desk, which I put to the left of my Tiara, and another draft style table to the right. All are the same height, so they work well with the Tiara (which I named Princess.)

My biggest find was the island craft table I found on Craigslist FOR FREE!!! It has a very nice Formica top with beveled edges, two shelves of storage on each side, and is the perfect height for pinning and marking quilts, cutting, and lots of other chores. It's not cheap chipboard, it's very, very heavy wood. The two shelves were missing, so I went to the Habitat for Humanity store and got two 4 ft by 11" shelves for $1.25 each. The other two white Ikea shelving units also came from the Habitat store - $10 for the narrow, $20 for the other one

The room already had cabinets (which I haven't utilized fully yet) a mini fridge, a microwave and small coffee maker. I'm all set! I love my new Sewing Suite. I even moved my grandmother's old treadle machine in there for fun. Hope it gives you all more ideas.
Attached Thumbnails quilting-studio-1-.jpg   quilting-studio-2-.jpg   quilting-studio-3-.jpg   quilting-studio-4-.jpg   quilting-studio-5-.jpg  

quilting-studio-6-.jpg   quilting-studio-7-.jpg   quilting-studio-8-.jpg