View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Skyangel

I bought both of mine from craigslist. The first one was a niece that had inherited it from her aunt. It was listed for $95 but by the time I called, a dealer had offered her $150 over the phone. I offered to match that and started talking about being a quilter and wanting it to take to classes, and she agreed to sell it to me instead of the dealer as she wanted it to be used, not resold for a profit. It was a black one from 1950, good shape and complete.

The second one is a 1948 model that was repainted purple (my avatar). It had been from a gift from her Mother who had wanted to get her interested in quilting. She moved to Portland to live with her Dad and go to school, decided she wasn't going to quilt, and listed it for $140. I saw the ad late at night since I was going to Portlnad the next day. I replied to the ad and got a call the next morning that I was the first to respond. You better believe I went right up there to get it. I felt almost like I should convince her to keep it and I am sure her Mom was mad when she found out, but If I didn't buy it the next one in line would, so I took it home. Also complete and awesome condition (had a tag that it had been serviced 6 months prior). Even had a 1/4" foot in the case that I am still using on it.

So the deals are still out there if you are patient.