Thread: church window
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
fatsewcat

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I read your comment on posting #39 and that answered a lot of questions for me about this project. However, I still don't understand how you got the pattern of the window to begin with. I got how you transferred it to fabric but how did you get the pattern to do the transfer? Maybe I just missed that?

And as everyone else has said .... Wow and what beautiful work you do! I too cannot wait to see it done. And you are working and raising a family and eating and sleeping also? Again ..... Wow!
I created the pattern after taking a picture of the window, turning it into a black and white photo on the computer and removing as much of the detail in it as possible to turn it into a lined drawing. Then I enlarged it to the two sizes I wanted and had them printed out to size. The large window had to be printed into two pieces. I allowed an over lapping area so I could line things up during the transferring phase. It was only by pure luck that I even remembered that the toner worked as a transfer. Ironing them straight into the fabric had to done very carefully so they would line up when those two pieces were sewn together. The background fabric is muslin.

It has been a very "wow-moment" project. I even had myself a wow moment today when I realized that I might just be able to do the lead lines from a single piece of black fabric (per pane) and do an overlay and cut away appliqué over the top of each pane verses trying to secure each individual line via bias strips or something else.

I am going to try this method on the smallest top window and see how it goes. It is still a lot of seeing and cutting but this way I am thinking it will also look nicer and be a little smoother without all of the over lapping of individual bias pieces. We'll see how it goes.