View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Basketman

I am not that experienced...maybe 7 quilts and one runner to my credit, but paper piecing can be one of the most admired and yet dreaded techniques. I took three paper piecing Craftsy classes from two of the name brand teachers that have already been mentioned and Peggy Martin and felt they were all worthwhile...especially when they go on sale! However, I also found a different freezer paper method on uTube that can only be described as magical; where you iron, fold back, sew along the fold and repeat. I keep a smaller stitch, so that if I make an error and do a smaller than 1/4" seam allowance, the fabrics are still well anchored and that allowed me to toss out my add a quarter ruler, made me less of a slave to the process, more product oriented and greatly added to producing more timely and satisfying results. Sewing through the paper can be a terrible pain, especially when it comes to ripping the fabrics free of the newsprint and copying patterns onto freezer paper, that are larger than legal sized, has its own set of additional problems. It was previously mentioned that assuming your printer is accurate can be close to "the kiss of death" and Staples etc....rightfully refuse when they see anything with copyright.

The big plus about this technique ( using newsprint or freezer paper) is that even an inexperienced quilter with a second hand featherweight can produce some amazing curves, sharp points and blazingly complicated patterns... if you can wrap your head around the process. Everyone does it slightly different and it might require you to do a distillation of several techniques to find your own approach and method, but when you get it and are diligent...WOW!

P.S. I posted a few comments on this board previously that might help? I think you can easily search for them and they might be a bit more specific as to where to look for techniques. The other thing you need to know is that I am a guy and not wanting to follow directions is part of our DNA...and if I can make my avatar, almost ANYONE can paper piece!