View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Birdscraps

I was one of those folks who had "Go Set a Watchman" on pre-order and could hardly wait for the release date so I could read it. Disappointment doesn't even begin to cover it. I felt very violated after having read it, like I had been tricked or set up. After reading more about it after its' release it is clear that this was a first draft of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Harper Lee's sister who managed her affairs for years said so and this manuscript only came into the public's eye after her death last fall. Harper Lee is severely hard of hearing and suffers from the after-effects of a stroke she had several years ago. After I finished the book I wanted to read something that was very far away from anything like that so I read a few "chick-lit" novels, Dorothea Benton Frank's "All the Single Ladies" and Elin Hildebrand's "The Rumor". So far they have done nothing to erase the bad taste I still have lingering after "Go Set a Watchman". My book club starts up again in September after a summer hiatus so am anxious to have something new to read.