View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 PM
caspharm

Originally Posted by julie View Post
I don't normally use batiks in my quilts, so I don't know if this is normal. I bought 3 yds. of a teal batik, to use in a baby quilt. I washed the batik with Color Catchers, and they came out colored. In total, I washed the fabric 5 times, and the Color Catchers are still coming out with color. The orange batik that I washed separately came out fine, no color on the Color Catchers. I used a warm wash/cold rinse setting on both. I'm very leary about using the teal fabric since it's still bleeding. I'm concerned that it will bleed when the quilt is done, and Mommy has to wash it the first time baby spits up on it. I bought the fabric at a reputable quilt shop, it cost over $11 a yard. Is it normal for a batik to keep bleeding? Is it too late to try Retayne, as the bottle says to use it before the fabric has been washed. Should I put this fabric away, and try to find another teal fabric. I was really excited to start the quilt this weekend, and now I'm very hesitant. thanks for your help.
I love batiks and I use a recipe that I found here on the quiltingboard that works quite well. I never prewash any of them, I just use this recipe from this thread, "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running." It was from zozee and tessagin made a comment about using it on one she had prewashed already and it stop the running.

The only thing not mentioned was how much water. I just partially start my machine (toploader) and let a small amount of water fill the bottom in order to dump the mix in. Then I just continue the cycle.