View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM
quilt938

Default singer 237 question

this was my mom's machine- I inherited a lot of machines from her but this is the only one that I remember her having when I was a kid. I think I saw her use it a couple of times but the cabinet was always there..so I'm wanting it to work! suprisingly I'm finding I like the simplicity of the machine or what I think will be simple once it's working. the problem is I threaded it and went to try it out - even pinned together some fleece to make a throw I was so excited - but the zigzag was way off and the thread seemed to be 'falling'. I went back to youtube and a threading diagram online and realized the tension disk thingy isn't right on mine- it has the flat round part on top and that's what I went under but in the video and diagram it looks like it's supposed to have a wire loopy thingy that sticks out for the thread to go through (I think going under the disc is for bobbin winding but haven't gotten that far since there was already a bobbin in it)I think the screw that tightens the disc is missing as well (looks like a hole but may be a screw farther in but don't think so)

I pm'd a local shop that specializes in antique/vintage machines to see if they have the part by any chance (hoping it's not hard to put on ) but I may be hitting ebay or the facebook groups and here! asking where else to look for these parts. In the meantime I'm wondering if there's something else I can try with the zigzag or do you think that missing part is the problem? if it is I'll just leave it and move onto another machine. I've already oiled it - other than taking off the top of the machine - oiled underneath and in the holes and took out the screw on the side and oiled the needlebar area. it seems to run pretty smooth though it did balk when I went to straight stitch but think I had the stitch too tight. also that thing that selects the stitch size isn't screwing tight to lock the lever into place...I think it's supposed to tighten? it moves up and down easily though and the stitch lengths changed.