Thread: Windows 10 ?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 AM
slbram17

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I've read of some installing 10 from a notification that did not come from Microsoft---and they had terrible problems that sent the computer for repair. I received notification to my Win 7 Pro, that I could "register" for the download and go on the list. I made sure it came from MS. So I gave my info and waited to learn when I could upgrade (you know you can only upgrade from 7 or operating systems?)...I think it was only about 24 hrs until I got notice that I was now approved and ready for download. Again I ck'd the sender. After download, I was asked if I wanted to "install now, or wait for a more convenient time". It took several hrs to complete, tho I was only standing by while all this happened. When I was ready to shut down for the night, there was no 'power', no 'shut down', no restart, etc---so I had to force a shutdown with power button on computer. I was distraught and planned to undo the install/go back to Win 7 next morning. However, next morning, there were all the ''turn off'' options, the screen looked different. I then read that all does not work right until after the first update. Now I am pleased as punch with this new windows. I'm keeping it! I've also read that some people mistakenly think it is only a trial version--not so--it is full version and totally free--for a yr from date of release. Some understand that to mean free for a yr and then you have to pay for it. Not so. But if you don't get the free offer before it expires, then you WILL have to buy the software. Like, how often has Microsoft given us anything free??!!!
I don't know what to think about all this. My gut is that Microsoft shotgun this out, and there's way too many scenarios out there to have them all work out perfectly. Kind of a lab test. Some fails, some successes.