Thread: iPad vs other?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yesterday I was on it looking to get directions for an address- locally- from mapquest...when suddenly this message came on saying something about an error...with an http addy, saying the os is in danger......along with an 877# to call to be connected to!a live tech......after trying to shut down/ reopen, only to find that same pop up message, I called the number - answered by someone with a very heavy Indian accent and poor connection...told him my situation......he stated that this could be corrected by him on line for $39.95---- I said no thanks and hung up. So this morning, tried to get on safari thru iPad......same message, but I am here on my iPad.....I don't understand....I will call the apple store, make an appt and see what they say ........the store is about 35 miles away, not convenient and this thing is out of warranty of course!
Apple will never send you a message like that. You are being told to contact someone who is trying to commit a crime. NEVER click a link in an email, or a blink or not blinking banner ad. Doing so is what is wrong with the iPads. I am on my second iPad, after four years of use with the first one, but only because I dropped the first one. The one I have now is a reconditioned one from Apple. (NEVER buy a reconditioned IPad from any other source) no one can remotely "fix" an iPad . If you are on tech support, with Apple by phone or online, they will sometimes ask to access your computer to diagnose or see a problem, but never to "fix" anything. Apple products are meant to be secure. Only your actions can change that. If your iPad is acting odd, try shutting it completely off, wait 30-60 seconds and turn back on. If this does not fix whatever is going on, call tech support yourself, or take it in. Also, I have never heard a "foreign voice" on Apple tech support. Accents yes, but not obvious ESL folks.

{ Funny story for you. I am so not tech savvy, so that when I got my first iPad, I read what I understood of the instructions, managed to get it up and working, and was really enjoying being able to use it so easily. It was so much fun to be able to sit or ride anywhere and use it. It was wonderful, for about two weeks. Then I noticed that it was acting strange, typing weird, having trouble getting online, while online things would shift, blink, and just drive me crazy. I'm thinking " that was way too much money to spend on a tool that only works right for a couple weeks!" So, in desperation I called tech support. (I hate calling tech support, makes me feel stupid.) a very nice young lady answered, asked what she could help me with. I explained what was going on. She said to turn it off then back on. I "turned it off" said OK, it is off. She said it is not supposed to turn off that quick.....for the whole time I had used it, I had been putting it to sleep, not actually turning it off! They only reset when you turn them completely off! I felt so stupid. She and I had a good laugh at my silly mistake, and I now turn it off when I am done with it......lol!}

Last edited by madamekelly; 08-22-2015 at 11:25 AM.