Old 08-22-2015, 01:18 PM
MaryKatherine

Default What is the Difference between a Quilt and a Comforter... a bit of musing here

I finished the "quilt" I was assembling for my sister. A sheet of my mother's. She died 20 years ago. This is not the first time I've done this for my sister.. The detail on this one wouldn't let me do anything but trace.
It took almost 2 weeks ......with lots of breaks to let my twitch muscles recover. But I got to thinking back when we were kids and FINALLY got rid of those chenille bed coverlets. (They're popular again I hear.... lol)
This was in the early 50's and we got Quilts for our beds. I guess the definition was that they were two pieces of material sandwiching some poly and stitched with a design, that held it all together.
We also had a feather "comforters" made from what had to be taffeta. Now they were awesome,... but long gone.
MY mother never called any of these quilts. She didn't quilt herself. They were comforters.
So I'm assuming, as I muse here, that a quilt besides being a sandwich, also needs some "block" or pattern assembled on one of the surfaces. Or a relative that quilts!

So I had to take a leap of faith with my choice for a backing here. I think it works though!!
Attached Thumbnails img_3859.jpg   img_3860.jpg   img_3861.jpg   img_3857.jpg   img_3858.jpg