View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

This is the story that I was told, that goes with this recipe.
I am adding it, so I can repost this next Christmas. i would hate for anyone to miss out on trying these!
I called these cookies Double Chocolate Chip on here, but when the recipe was given to me, my neighbor called it neeman marcus cookies.
(spelled that way on purpose )
I don't know if the story that went with the recipe is true. Here it is:

A lady was dining at this posh establishment and since the aforementioned dessert came highly reccommended, she decided that she would indeed try them.
They were incredibly delicious, so she asked if it were possible to get the recipe.
Well, I'll ask our master chef, said the waiter, and he came back and said that it would require a stipend of two fifty, but he would be glad to make arrangements for the recipe to be ready for her by the time she was ready to leave.
So after enjoying more than several of the delicious confections with their after dinner coffee, she paid with her credit card and received the coveted prize!
"How exciting!", she told her guest. "We'll have the best dessert at every function."
Her guest was ecstatic that she was going to take her into her confidence and share.
So the story goes, that in a few weeks, the bill for the credit card came and as she was looking it over, as she always did, she noticed the typo for the cookie recipe:
two hundred fifty dollars!
"Yikes! I'll have to have that amended immediately."
So she made a call to the restaurant and was informed that it was not a typo. All of their recipes were created by the highly skilled and talented staff and were unique and carried the name of the famous restaurant. To have a copy of one of their recipes was considered an honor. Usually it was only the 'elite' that knew what a grand value it was.
Well, this lady was no reverse-snob, towards the rich, but she knew greed when she saw it!
"Why that's just ridiculous, she exclaimed!"
"Well, madam, you requested the recipe, you were informed of the price, and you gave your credit card for payment. The recipe is yours, hope you enjoy it."
She protested a little further, but to no avail.
So, being quite angry at being 'taken', she decided that since her copy, was indeed her possession, and she had signed nothing in agreement for not sharing it...
she decided that is exactly what she would do.
So she printed off hundreds of copies and gave them to all her friends and family, and many patrons of that particular restaurant.
She felt that in doing so, it would no longer be 'unique.'
Anyone could have it, for free.
Small compensation but it would do to soothe her feelings.

So there you have it. Is it a legend? I do not know. I think it is an interesting story though. But I kept the recipe, and have used it every Christmas since that first one, after tasting the cookies at my neighbors house, because they are just that good!
I love them! and so does my family. I hope you try them, and find out for yourself, that to me, they really could be served in the grandest restaurant you would ever hope to visit...and you got the recipe right here, free! :XD: