Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM
klswift

I teach and I actually prefer the kids to the adults. Most structured classes want the kids to make a pillowcase first - straight seams, learning the machine speeds, etc. I need to follow the rules so we make a pillowcase, but I show them how to thread thru a drawstring and make it a carryall bag. Then we make 'lounge' pants (aka pajama pants). They can make them long or short, the fit is not real important and it is a great way to show them how to do basic changes to a pattern. Measuring the hips and adjusting to that. These type of items give them confidence and real products they can use. Depending on how well they do you can make more or start adding items - a basic skirt with zipper, a sleeveless blouse with collar and then a sleeve pattern. I make messenger bags and sports duffle bags - especially with the boys - and they get so excited that they want to try a shirt. One boy made a tropical print shirt for his dad for his birthday! I get so juiced up watching them catch the sewing fever!!! Have fun.