Thread: Using Glue
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 AM
heidikins

I always had a problem when sewing long strips together for either a strip pieced project or even for four or nine patches. They always seemed to come out wonky. Very frustrating! Then I tried using Elmer's school glue. I put it in a small plastic bottle, added a very fine .5 metal tip (that I bought at the local art store) and just added a thin bead all along the very edge of the fabric, pressed (up and down) not ironed (back and forth) with a hot iron, and WOW what a difference! Perfect seams. No distortion at all. Being skeptical I tried a sample first to see if it would wash out and it did! I made 20 table runners for a wedding using it and was really happy with the results since the bride wants a quilt out of the strips from the runners. Just remember not to get the glue in the area where you want to sew. Once it is dried it can sometimes be a little difficult to sew through. I haven't tried the glue sticks yet for my applique but I bought a dozen in a package at WalMart at the beginning of the school year and have them waiting patiently in the lettuce bin of my fridge. (Husband couldn't figure that one out.)