Thread: S&H absurd
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
dmackey

Shipping and HANDLING used to be so aggrevating to me until I did a national fundraiser and realized that the handling really pays for supplies and someone's time. It took me hours to package and label the product for shipping, the trips to the PO, the many trips from the car into the PO for all the boxes, and the time it took to do it all.

Shipping charges are what they are, and if someone is not close to a PO and uses priority for everything, then it is going to cost you whatever that set amount is.

If someone is buying packaging, tape, labels, taking the time to cut, pull, package, seal, address, and deliver to the PO (gas, time, etc), then I believe they should be paid for their time and materials which is the HANDLING. Larger companies pay employess to pull and package, so I now I understand the HANDLING part.

I had an issue with Equilter charging me $6.95 shipping and handling for one yard of fabric. I called and asked them to ship differently to save me money and they didn't because they have to pay someone to do the work to cut, package, invoice, etc, and that is the fee they charge, alson with the price of priority mail, and they were very kind in explaining that to me.

I now shop to find the best shipping price along with the best sale price for what I need. Those that charge excessive amounts don't get my business, but those who charge reasonable S&H do get my business. I look at it as saving my time and gas money by not traveling out to look for what I want.

I've also come to realize that paying full price for fabric at the local quilt shop often costs less than finding the fabric on sale, online, and having to pay S&H!

Webfabrics.com and fabric.com both have low order amounts for free shipping! I'm sure there are several others out there too.

Diane