View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Manalto

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
These two videos show Sharon Schamber's method. She emphasizes that the tatting thread, being rough and unpolished, really grips the fabric, and that the herringbone stitch, because of the change of direction, will not shift. It holds wonderfully for machine quilting. You remove the basting in the area you're quilting, before quilting there. She recommends a width of three fingers between stitches.
Thanks for this. I've seen the wrap-it-around-a-board method before; I didn't realize that Sharon Shamber invented it. I'm going to try it; I like its compactness. One thing I did right, or at least according to her method, was the herringbone stitch, which I mistakenly called a zigzag stitch. 2 1/2" spacing seems tight, but the stability is probably needed for some projects. (I spaced my stitches 3 of Shrek's fingers apart.) She doesn't explain why you shouldn't quilt over the stitches. It seems so much easier to remove it at the end, rather than de-stabilize an area you're going to quilt. Do you know why?

I looked up DMC tatting thread and it comes in several weights. Do you know which weight would be good for this purpose?