View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM
GingerK

Default My Disappearing Hourglass

I have never made a project that skirted so very close to disaster, because of not enough fabric. I literally had nothing left from the peacock batik. I have a strip of about 6"x15" left of the creme background. I made one miss-cut and thankfully it was the least serious possible. I love how it perfectly fits a queen sized bed. 4 repeats across the bed and one repeat plus border on each side. I got a little artistic with the borders to make the absolute most of the batik. I knew I did not have enough to do something completely symmetrical and finally decided on accenting two corners. I actually pieced a couple of the squares to have enough.

I learned so much doing this top. I started making the hourglass blocks by sewing two 10 1/2" squares together and then cutting the X. This gave many bias edges. It was much easier to make 4 HST's using 4 7 1/2" squares because those pesky bias edges were not on the outside. But, because of fabric shortage, I ended up having to do most of the blocks the first way. It was just the best use of what I had.

Will I do this pattern again? Absolutely!! There are so many different layouts you can use and each one looks incredibly difficult (always a bonus when the starting block is so simple!) I am not sure if I will quilt this one myself. Will have to ruminate on that. Thanks for looking.

And a huge thank you to IrishGalFromNJ who was generous enough to give me the dimensions she used on herDHG last month. She inspired me!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0026-medium-.jpg   dsc_0029-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by GingerK; 08-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.