Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 AM
Kris P

I second the suggestion to follow Lori Kennedy. Her tutorials are great! There are also a lot of great books out there by other quilter/bloggers that have been so helpful to me. Angela Walters, Natalia Bonner, Christina Cameli, just to name a few. I own all of their books and they are a great resource. In all cases, practicing is key. Plan to fill up several sheets of scrap paper with your attempts. Once you get the feel of it, keep doodling until you can 'see' the design on the blank sheet and where you are going to stitch next. By continuing to practice with your pencil and paper, you develop muscle memory. (similar to typing, your fingers just know where the keys are.) Once I'm comfortable with paper, I move to practice quilt sandwiches. This allows you to practice scale of your design, and work out any tension and thread issues before you start on the real project. (I've found that plexi glass over the real quilt, and a dry erase marker can be very helpful)
Just remember every project you quilt is a snapshot of what you're capable of at the time. I live by this motto and rarely remove quilting stitches. Just quilt and move on. Good luck on your FMQ journey.