View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 02:50 AM
Maureen NJ

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Thanks for this. I've seen the wrap-it-around-a-board method before; I didn't realize that Sharon Shamber invented it. I'm going to try it; I like its compactness. One thing I did right, or at least according to her method, was the herringbone stitch, which I mistakenly called a zigzag stitch. 2 1/2" spacing seems tight, but the stability is probably needed for some projects. (I spaced my stitches 3 of Shrek's fingers apart.) She doesn't explain why you shouldn't quilt over the stitches. It seems so much easier to remove it at the end, rather than de-stabilize an area you're going to quilt. Do you know why?

I looked up DMC tatting thread and it comes in several weights. Do you know which weight would be good for this purpose?
I use Sharon Schamber's method. Much prefer it over pins. I plan my basting around my patch design. I tend to do Stitch in ditch with walking foot first from one side of quilt to opposite side. I do all my vertical rows and then go back and do the horizontal rows. I baste so that the vertical SID never crosses the basting threads and then I snip the basting thread on the horizontal rows right as I approach the basting thread. It is much easier to pull out the basting that way. Then with all the basting thread out, I can go back in the blocks and do FMQ. I use thread I get on sale at JoAnn's. It is coat and Clarks XP Heavy Duty white. I think it was Sharon Schamber who said to only use white so it would never bleed.

i am not confident in my FMQ to do SID by free motion quilting although I imagine experienced quilters do one block at a time and then move on. My way, you are moving the quilt a lot to do the SID but I like the results. Whatever works for you is acceptable!