View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Agree with all the previous comments. It is just persistence. Our craigslist isn't very active and very few sewing machines come across. Usually the new ones "still in the box". I looked at all the thrift shops around here over several years. I made regular stops at all of them. I looked in Atlanta when I was there. Then one day, years later, yes, years, I went into an antique flea market in Opelika and a man was stocking cookbooks and said did I want one. No, I said, I'm looking for a singer featherweight. Come with me, he says. There was one in a booth, no case, but, bobbin case and worked fine. I paid about $150 for it. Love it. Never had a thread jam, cute little thing. That was several years ago. About two months ago I went to a thrift store near me and on the floor in a case that I recognized (and my heart began to thump) was an index card that said "sewing machine -$40). I swooped that thing up and opened it and it had a cute featherweight, lots of attachments, and bobbin case. I couldn't test it, but figured it would work. it is nice and clean. The lady said "let me carry that for you". No thanks! I hugged it while I paid and then all the way to the car. So now I have 2. But it was a very long process of searching and patience. I didn't want to go the eBay route. I wanted to just come across one. Maybe I will come across a 222 or white one. Here's hoping.