Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Caroline94535

Default 'Stored' machines, oiling or not, how often to run?

Because of remodeling, I can not easily get to the Singer 15-91 or Pfaff 130-6 (both in cabinets) in my little sewing room. This means the 1975 Singer Fashion Mate 252 is getting far more attention than she's ever had before. She was officially retired when Santa brought me a new Bernina 230 PE several years ago, and long before I discovered this site and found the two "refined old ladies."

It's been suggested to clean, but not oil, a machine that is not going to be used for a while to prevent the oil from drying out and forming an unmovable mass. Is this what most people do?

How often should a stored (in the sewing room's closet) machine be run?

How long should I run it at each session to keep the oil soft? Should I move it through all the needle positions and stitch options?

How will I go about using, or at least running, three vintage machines, my little Bernie wonder, and the serger?

How do you serious collectors manage all the 'care and feeding' of your extensive herds?

As I was checking FM252 yesterday, I removed the bobbin case and discovered a hard packed lump of fuzzy "felt" that I had missed when I cleaned it earlier this year. I oiled the bobbin case and area, plugged in the machine, raised the presser foot, and just let it "run" fast and non-stop for about 10 minutes.

Would this type of 'running' be sufficient for all three vintage machines? Could I simply turn them on, set something heavy on the foot controllers, and let them hum along. I'm sure it would cause DH to shake his head in wonder.

Or - should I plan several quilts, and work on each sewing machine for an hour each week, thus making four quilts at once? This might work, since I've collected enough old jeans to make each of my six nephews a denim quilt.