Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Caroline94535

I have cut out patches all around the pockets, leaving a generous seam allowance outside of the pockets' original outside seamed edges. The pockets are still attached just as they were on the original pants.

Once sewn into a block there will be a denim backing with the denim pocket still sewn on using the seam allowance I left all around it. Clear as mud? The "pockets" blocks will have more bulk, but will still function as the original pants' pockets did for all their "stuff."

I'll try to get some photos soon.

The blocks will be roughly 12x12, with no set pattern. I'll just try to use all of the denim and cut the patches to fit the scraps.

Some blocks will be crazy patches with a bit of embroidery; (if my fingers hold out!); some will be simple vintage block patterns - Churn Dash, Four Patch, Nine Patch, Rail Fence - designs that will work with heavy denim. If a block is too small, I can use more narrow strips to fill it out.

I may take some of the more narrow pants' legs and cut 6x24 pieces to set between two sets of 12x12 patches to break up some of the various blues with blues patchwork confusion.

I'm excited to start this project. Now I must decide if I complete all six quilts before giving them to the boys, or start with the oldest nephew and work my way down the list?

Last edited by Caroline94535; 08-29-2015 at 10:17 AM.