Old 08-30-2015, 08:14 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default Agave Garden Going over the top with quilting sneak peek

Several weeks ago I loaded this on the rack.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529240[/ATTACH]
This is one of my own quilts. The pattern is Agave Garden by Judy Niemeyer but as with 90% of the patterns I do, I modified it. I eliminated the applique bits and enlarged the border considerably as I wanted a big canvas for some over the top quilting. It took me a really long time to come up with quilting designs for this. I gained inspiration for the border motif by googling Mexican tiles and got that floral design. I added the melon shapes to represent corn as the ultimate recipient makes the best tamales I have ever eaten.

I marked out the entire design and you can see my marks for quilting yet to come but I couldn't wait to share a sneak peek of this.
First everything got ditched with Fil Tec Essence a super fine monofiliment like Superior's Monopoly. Then I rolled the quilt back and did all the blue thread.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529241[/ATTACH]
Next came yellow and here I am working from the bottom up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529242[/ATTACH]

Then red and I am currently working on orange
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529243[/ATTACH]

This is by far my most ambitious quilt I have ever attempted. Using high contrast thread on black shows every wobble and goof but so far I am very pleased with the results. I still have 4 more colors to go, two shades of purple, black and finally a variegated that has all the colors of the quilt in it.

My brother asked me to make a quilt that has a very Mexican feel to it for some very close friends of his who used to live in the US but have moved back to Mexico. I think I will enter this in a few shows before turning it over to him.
Attached Thumbnails dsc05183.jpg   dsc05402.jpg   dsc05408.jpg   dsc05420.jpg