Old 08-30-2015, 11:25 AM
ThayerRags

Default Global Economy And Vintage Sewing Machines

This is not to be a political thread, but a conversation about whether current events like the shake-up in the global stock markets and world economic changes are having any effect on your vintage sewing machine hobby. I’ve noticed myself slowing down a little bit on my eagerness to obtain more sewing machines just for the sake of having them, but it may be because I’m narrowing my want-list down to just a few more models that I have my eye out to get.

Some of the VSM (Vintage Sewing Machine) enthusiasts that I’ve talked to say that the lower price of fuel is going to make it more appealing to hit the road more in search of all kinds of collectables including sewing machine goodies. I read an article that said there’s a resurgence of RV activity among the Baby Boomer crowd, and while it stopped short of saying travel would ever get back to the volume of past years, it said that there is a noticeable increase in RV sales and activities. I suppose that includes a sizable number of folks retiring and moving into an RV to live on the go all year. Some of the RVs that I’ve seen are nicer than my home, so it could actually be a step up for some to sell or hand-down their home to be mobile. An added benefit would be having the mobility to live where the best seasonal conditions are. My wife and I don’t have any plans to go mobile, and plan on just staying where we are now.

If the golden crowd becomes more mobile, do you think we’ll see an increase in the number of vintage sewing machine enthusiasts? How do you think that economic conditions might affect your enjoyment of the VSM hobby?

CD in Oklahoma