Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 AM
ThayerRags

Speaking of stocking up with food, I thought it was interesting last week during the Katrina Hurricane Anniversary, two mainstream news organizations (BBC & USA Today) had articles online about storing food and water. They were taking the angle of hurricane preparedness of course, but mentioned tornados and other emergencies that might keep you at home without power for a few days. I don’t recall the mainstream media putting articles like those out much before and wondered if the current economic conditions had any bearing on it.

As to the economy, I’m curious how new sewing machine sales have been going. I’m not into that, so I don’t have any information about sales, but I would be interested in knowing if sales are up or down over the past decade. Then, I would have to guess whether or not that had any effect on prices and sales of used sewing machines. I’ve always wondered when seeing vintage sewing machines suddenly appear for sale at high prices, if the owner was selling off a family heirloom when finances got tight. I guess it could be the case in some instances, but just as likely that the younger generation that it was handed down to has no interest in sewing machines in our high-tech world.

When it comes to bartering, I’d feel lucky if I got a couple of chicken wings for some of my machines....

CD in Oklahoma