View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Bobbielinks

Default May be in big trouble

This is a follow up to "If your LAer sees something add" and "Really Screwed Up"

I am now quilting a top that I "fixed" without calling my customer. This top was presented once for quilting when my customer and I noticed that it needed borders redone before quilting as there was too much fabric in the borders making them quiet wavy. My customer took the top home to fix it than dropped it off a couple of weeks later on her way to another appointment, not having the time to discuss the top at that point. When measuring the quilt and the backing to load them, I find the top still has too much fabric in the borders (about 10 inches too much) and that the backing is not long enough for the top (backing is plenty wide enough, but is 4 inches shorter than the top). Knowing my customer is facing some health issues, I remove the outside borders from the top, trim the inside border to make it the same width the full length of each border. Trim the outside borders so they are the same width from end to end, reapply the outside borders to the top. Then cut off enough backing from one side of the backing fabric and sew it to the length to make it long enough for the top. Square the backing, load everything and am almost done quilting.

After reading the answers in the prior posts, I may lose this customer. But I have always felt it very important to make sure when a customer picks up their quilt, they pick up a beautiful quilt, which I have tried to do my best work on. Yes, I did return the top to the customer once, and yes, I usually call my customer if I have a question, but sometimes I feel my customer just wants it done. And me, being me, want that quilt to look it's best.