Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 AM
KLO

Very interesting discussion for sure. Machines in my area on CL are certainly not plentiful and mostly over priced I think. I really missed out on a Singer 66-18 in a nice cabinet and said to be in good working order and newly wired. (Here's hoping someone tells me it was not worth getting.) I am still regretting that I didn't just buy it and then try to find a place for it but my head is starting to explode with the amount of "stuff" I have. The older I get, the more I want less in my living area. Still, I am now yearning for Superman to turn the world back around on it's axis so I can buy the machine. I'll get over it and won't be stressed because I got it.

A handcrank is on my "want to buy" list but have not found an affordable one locally yet. I do have two treadles so no problem for "doom and gloom". Plus I am sure I (we all) will have more on our minds than looking for a machine if that ever happens.

Don't know how or whether shops are selling much in the way of new machines but of course presumably there will always be people with money who want the latest and greatest so they will buy. That's good news for people who buy their traded in ones for less than they were new. I got a new machine back in the 70's from my DH as a Christmas Gift. Have not had a new one since. I do have two computerized machines that we bought second hand and they are mostly what I use.

So great to hear from SteveH that there are younger people finally realizing that there is so much junk out in the shops and that they are now doing things including sewing for themselves. Hope that attitude carries across the country. Wish my Dad were still alive because kids could learn so much from him but that can probably be said about a lot of people who grew up in and around the depression. I know I should have paid more attention to what he had to say and do.

Gas here is about $2.25 to $2.30 by the way.