View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
AtHomeSewing

As tough as it might be, I would recommend considering the machines themselves and try not to think about the personalities of the salespeople. Companies go out of business, sell, or retire. Sales people come and go, and people sometimes move and take their machines along so that store relationship is less important than the machine. If you honestly evaluate machines, learn all you can, you’ll feel confident about the choice you make.

How much will you use your new machine for embroidery and how long would you like to be able to use the machine before you have to replace it?

Embroidery puts machines through a lot of use. A design with 5,000 thousand stitches is a small design. It's common to run designs of 20,000 stitches and easy to do 50,000 and more for a single design. It doesn't take a lot to run the total stitch count of a home sewing machine into millions of stitches a year. So how much use are home machines intended for? Real commercial embroidery machines such as Tajima or Barudan are designed to run reliably all day long for years with minimum maintenance. They are able do this because their moving parts are metal. So take a clue from their design, metal lasts and plastic fails over time.

The hook mechanism is the heart of the embroidery system. Take a look at what each brand offers, especially how easy it is to disassemble and clean the hook assembly area. I have not seen a Janome, so I can’t tell you what’s in there. Bernina caught my eye initially because it’s hook mechanism compares favorably to commercial embroidery machines that I run. I have a Bernina 630 as my home sewing machine, it has the same hook mechanism as the 430 you are considering.

Also, look at embroidery design stitch counts. You can see many designs, including their counts on the internet at various vendors. Think about what you'd like to be able to make over the years. Those stitch counts start adding up, and don’t forget to add in the regular sewing you also expect the machine to do and it becomes a lot of use. One machine may have a lower price initially, but if it is made of parts that wear out then low price turns into high cost.

Good luck and happy stitching with whatever choice you make!