View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Ps 150

Default Heading Into Business!!

I've taken the plunge and I'm officially taking this hobby into a small business. I know everyone has said not to turn your hobby into a business, but I figured that I already had done it. Everyone keeps coming to me to make a baby quilt for this or that, and as long as they actually are willing to cover costs and labor, I accept the job. Now it's time to make it official. On Friday I filed my DBA with the county clerk's office and applied for a NY State tax ID number. Yesterday I applied and received a federal ID number. Just waiting to get all of the paperwork before I can start selling. And the best part? I'm trading labor for labor with a friend who wanted a quilt made for his son. He's covering the costs of materials and I'm doing the same for my stuff, but I'm going to make the quilt for his son and in turn, he's setting up a website and facebook page for me and at his business he's printing off my business cards, stationary, envelopes and order forms. How neat is that?? I'm just so excited. And I can create what I love, sell as I make, take custom orders and do it all from the comfort of home.