View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
quilt938

Default 319 bobbin winding help

well a friend turned down this deal but hooked me up so now I've added a singer 319w to the herd. it's nice but I'm having trouble with it. last night I managed to wind enough bobbin thread to try a straight stitch and it's nice - sews a nice straight stitch. unfortunately it doesnt have a zigzag foot with it so couldn't try anything else.

anyways, it's not acting right bobbin-winding. I disengage whatever that thing is called on the handwheel so the needle isn't supposed to turn - mine turns regardless. also the bobbin won't wind- I can see stuff moving but the thread quit going on the bobbin. I re-read that part of the book and thought maybe I didn't have that little notch snapped into the bobbin so figured I'd doublecheck tonight. tried again and decided maybe the tire needed replacing and yep it broke in pieces when I pulled it off..grabbed the ugly black tire from my 401 that was handy and struggled to get it on (saw an ebay auction that listed bobbin tire for 319 and in the longer description 401 was mentioned so figured they took the same one...) anyways got it on finally and struggled to pop that lever in place then the wheel wouldn't spin at all. just made a noise.

I read somewhere that when the handwheel is taken off it might have something backwards but not sure if I should mess with this or if maybe there's a simple solution I'm just not seeing? is there a different size bobbin tire I need to get?

also will a short shank zigzag work for this machine?