Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Three questions:
1. Do the top-only entries compete with completed quilts?
2. What's the reason for judging the back of a quilt top?
3. Do competitions allow entries that have been sent out for quilting? (i.e., made by one person, quilted by another)

A category for "tops only" makes sense to me. It could have its own list of judging criteria for the skills involved, but completely separate from the competition for completed quilts.
Judging the backs of quilts is like the motion picture industry giving an Academy Award for Tidiest Sound Stage.
If the answer to #3 is yes, do the two share the recognition/award?
Question 3 is yes, although there are some shows that don't allow it and there may even be some fairs that don't. What is required is that it be disclosed that it was professionally longarmed and to name the longarmer on the entry paperwork. Most of the big national shows do allow it. The quilter must be named but does not necessarily share in the winnings/recognition other than the "crow about it factor".

The reasoning behind this is that the longarmer has been paid for his/her services. The person who pieced the top and owns the quilt and paid for the longarming is entitled to any award recognition the quilt goes on to receive. That said, there have been collaborations. Most famously is Karen Kay Buckley and Renee Haddadin. They have teamed up to do several quilts that have taken best of category but I am not privy to how the winnings were split. There are others as well. IMHO if a sent out quilt won a ribbon for best longarming it would be a nice gesture if the owner gave the longarmer the rosette ribbon. Some shows have gotten that and have started awarding two rosettes, one for the owner/piecer and one for the longarmer. But I believe any cash prize always goes to the owner of the quilt as in most cases the services of the longarmer have already been paid up front and winnings are simply a recouping of that cost. That is how I see it anyways.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-02-2015 at 10:28 AM.