Old 09-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Melissa Mc

I think that as you travel around to fairs, you’re going to find as many different sets of rules and classes available as there are fairs. My friends & I are planning on entering next year to help get the numbers of entries up. The more people that can see our work, the more likely we are to suck one more person into this addiction! Most of the people in my group of quilters send everything to a quilter, which is going to limit the entries we can do for several of our local fairs.

The large county next door doesn’t split quilts by if they are done by the exhibitor or by someone else; the listing just states “If the quilt is quilted by someone other than the exhibitor, list the name of the quilter.” They do have 14 classes.

My county fair requires all entries to be completed by one person, so I can’t enter anything I’ve sent out for quilting, they also do not have a top (unquilted) class. They do however, still split Hand Quilting and Machine Quilting, which could be a good thing, but unfortunately, there were a total of 3 entries this year in 6 total classes.
Hand quilting- 1) Pieced Quilt 2) Other, Not Listed
Machine Quilting- 1) Pieced Quilt 2) Baby Quilt 3) Wall Hanging 4) Other, Not Listed
Our state fair does not specify a difference between the 2 and offers a total of 11 classes.
[TABLE="width: 527"]
[TR]
[TD]CLASS: Full-Size Quilts (must be a minimum 72” on shortest side)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1. Individual (pieced or appliquéd and quilted by one contestant)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2. Group* (constructed and quilted by two or more people)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3. Group* (top constructed by contestant; quilted by someone paid for the service)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]CLASS: Medium and Small Quilts
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4. Lap Quilt (shortest side between 51” and 71”)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5. Wall Hanging (shortest side should be 50” or less)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6. Crib (suitable for crib use)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7. Miniature (may not exceed 24” on any side)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]CLASS: Miscellaneous
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8. Art/Innovative Quilt (contestant’s original design)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9. Accessories* (garments, purses, pillows, table runners, tree skirts, etc)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10. Quilt Top (no batting or backing)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
11. Youth Quilt* (open to contestants ages 11-17 years old)