Thread: Best Solids
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
what range do do you think has the best fabric solids..... I ask because I would like to order some fabrics from the U.S. and would like to know what you all think.
It depends on what 'best' trait you are looking for. Kona has by far the best choices for color matching (330 at last count) and usually the lowest price, but it has a lower thread count and coarser hand than some of the other brands.

In April I did a side by side comparison of solids at my LQS. I was specifically looking for a solid to use with batiks and wanted something closer in texture than the Kona I usually use. IMO, using Kona with batiks is a bit like mixing burlap and silk in the same quilt. It can certainly be done, but I wanted to see if there was something more suitable.

Having done a side-by-side, hand-to-hand, bolt-to-bolt comparison between several brands of solids and a quality batik, the winner, beyond any doubt, was Michael Miller Cotton Couture Solids. The other solids tested were Clothworks (American Made Brand), Kaufman (Kona), Moda (Bella), RJR (Cotton Supreme), Northcott (Colorworks Premium), and Marcus Brothers (Centennial). None even came close to the Michael Miller. All brands are mixed together by color at this shop and the MM bolts could be found by touch alone.

The Michael Miller is a 78x78 cotton broadcloth compared to Kona's 60x60. Moda Bella is also a 60x60 cotton broadcloth, it just has an added polish that softens the hand slightly. Thread count on the AMB solids is 74x78 and it is sold as a shirting, not a cotton broadcloth (different weaving process). As a comparison, regular quilting cottons are usually in the mid 70's for thread count; batiks are higher. (Side note on the AMB, it has a rough hand even at that thread count and there are many complaints of heavily fraying edges. I have not tried it for those reasons.)

My goal was somewhat narrow for that test (mixing with batiks), but I have used all but one of the brands I listed above. If color choice, price, and availability were the same for all of them, I'd go with Michael Miller, RJR, Northcott, Marcus Bros, Bella, and Kona...in that order. However, because those factors are NOT equal, I usually fall back on Kona for anything but batik combo works.