Old 09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Jeanne S

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
I have to keep studying this so I can figure out how to put my strips together. This is a great quilt and will be great for bustin' the scraps. I love love love the controlled scrappy look you acheved.
fabstripper, you are making it too hard! This quilt has only two size pieces----one is a 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle and the other is 3 1/2" squares. all fabrics are first cut into 3 1/2" WOF strips. The solid white and bLack/white print strips are subcut into 6 1/2" rectangles. The solid black and solid color strips are subcut into 3 1/2" squares. Each square is sewn "snowball" style onto one end of a rectangle by placing the square on one end of a rectangle piece (right sides together) and sewing a diagonal line across the square, corner to corner. Trim away the corner and fold back the square to fill the rectangle shape back out. Sew all the solid black squares onto the solid white rectangles, and sew all the solid color squares onto one side of the black/white print rectangles. You then have two types of pieces: a solid white and solid black piece, and a black/white print with a colored end. Both measure 6 1/2" x 3 1/2". Take one of each and sew them together on the long side, aligning them so the diagonals make a straight line across the 2 pieces. Sew Four of these 2 piece blocks. Then lay out the 4 units matching the colored triangles to form the pinwheel shape and sew them together to make the finished block. Each block has 8 rectangles in it. When the blocks and rows are sewn together, the black pinwheel pattern is formed too.
It is easier than it sounds, I hope this is clear. If not, just let me know!! Here is a close up photo of the 8 rectangle block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529656[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1120069.jpg  

Last edited by Jeanne S; 09-03-2015 at 01:21 PM.