View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 PM
moonrise

I've got 3 stores to choose from in my area: Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and Walmart. In order of my preference:

1. Hobby Lobby - Most of their fabric is very nice, and the prices (and coupons) are pretty nice, too. The fabric cutter and cashiers are always pleasant, and they work with you on prices if the coupon offers a better deal than their sale price. The majority of their fabric is acceptable quality (IMO), with only a few stiff/rough/thin fabrics to be found. Their home decor items are awesome, but are often overpriced unless they're on sale if you have a coupon. Two tips: My husband and I each use a coupon and check out separately to maximize our savings. They don't mind at all. Also, I usually print out a couple of extra coupons and take them with me. If I happen to overhear a comment about the affordability of an item, I'll offer them one of my extra coupons. I figure Hobby Lobby won't mind, because it may get them a sale that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

2. Walmart - Some of their fabric is decent; some not. You just have to watch. I know most of the people who work at my local store, including the night manager, and they'll usually throw in the last few inches of a bolt at no charge, or give us an extra couple of inches so the fabric can be squared up. I really like it when the manager cuts it. He's very generous!

3. Joann's - Like Walmart, some of the fabric is decent, and some isn't. I seem to have the best luck with the fabrics in the middle of the fabric section, rather than the fabrics on the wall (not sure if all stores are laid out the same). My biggest problem is with their coupon "policies". It's rare that I can get a good deal there, because they either mark the fabric "on sale" for $1 off, preventing the coupon from being used, or they deny the coupon for some vague "reason". With only one exception, the fabric cutters are borderline rude, especially when it comes to asking if a particular coupon can be used. NO seems to be their favorite word. I found myself getting so frustrated with them that Joann's is the "last resort" for me. I was so excited when the store first opened a couple of years ago, but now ... ugh. I hope all their stores aren't like this, but I've read similar complaints, especially about their coupons.